market-farming - [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 07:01:24 -0400

I'm looking to replace myself as farm manager for the 2011 season. . . and while that will be a challenge by its self, I would like to change up the CSA to add a bit more flexibility to the system.

Our current system is box-subscription.  While this system works, most of the disadvantages are on the customer side.  No choice, little input as to the box contents.

I have heard of other CSA's that have switched to a market style pickup.  Table 1 has 3 things - take 2 units, Table 2 has 4 things - take three, etc  I see a number of advantages with this.  Decreased packing costs. . . introduction of member choice. . . more face time with members (currently near 0 face time/week). . . streamlining field -> cooler processing. . . increased flexibility in quantities for the new manager who still has a fair bit to learn.  Downside - probably need to get 50+ members per pickup, or shorten pickup duration.

I heard a former employee from Angelic Organics started on their own with a system like this. . . but I need to talk to someone who's doing it.   Know anyone?

Thanks,
John

--
Seldom Seen Farm