market-farming - [Market-farming] Bean beetle parasite: was Cucumber beetle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bean beetle parasite: was Cucumber beetle
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 07:16:57 -0400

We've been happy with pediobius control of Mexican been beetles,
allows us to pick certain beans until heavy frost. Re: controlling
costs, we've found that ordering direct from the NJ Ag Dept Insectary
that produces them helps, as does combining the order with other
growers. Prices for the same amount of parasite varied 3-4 fold when
we checked several resellers 2 years ago, so we buy direct from the
lab producing them.
This from UMass Veg Extension:
"Contact information for New Jersey source (of pedioibus): Tom Dorsey,
609-530-4196 or 530-4192; address NJDA Phillip Alampi Insect Lab,
State Police Drive, W. Trenton, NJ 08628. You’ll also get advice on
how to use the wasps from this office."

Personally, Tom's phone advice on using these has been helpful.

Richard Moyer
SW VA

Rivka wrote:
Are you sure it's cucumber beetles in the beans? I've never seen that;
though I do sometimes get bean beetles in the beans. There's a
predatory wasp you can buy for the bean beetles -- does work, but you
have to order them at just the right time; you can't order them ahead
and store them, and they don't overwinter this far north -- I'm not
sure how far north they do survive. Watch out for the shipping costs,
on small orders it'll be a big percentage of the cost.

http://greenmethods.com/site/biocontrols/pediobius/