market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] carrots
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

> In hot temperatures, it's definitely harder to start carrots. If it's hot
> weather, we plant in late afternoon, giving the beds a heavy soaking.
> Then we water the beds with driplines for 15-30 minutes late every
> afternoon until they come up. (Driplines really make a difference!)
>
> Ken Bezilla
> Acorn Community Farm
> central VA
> I had problems for years getting tiny carrot seed to germinate in our
extremely drying winds....Discovered the driplines...yes...huge
difference! But also use remay stretched flat over the beds with the
drip lines underneath. The remay greatly helps things from drying out
and helps protect the tiny seedlings. Sora in N. Id...

  • Re: [Market-farming] carrots, sora, 04/29/2010