market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Colorado potato beetle control - crop rotation/rotating potato plot

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Colorado potato beetle control - crop rotation/rotating potato plot
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:15:02 -0500

Adults walk from their overwintering spots so a mile distance will
certainly help. There are other nightshade family plants that they
may opt to infest so you many still eventually see some on your
potatoes.

I have heard about some large scale growers here in Wisconsin (REALLY
large scale...think potato chips) that have experimented with digging
trenches between hedgerows and their fields and line the trenches with
black plastic. The adults walk into the trenches and then cannot
manage to get back out. They apparently lack the energy or will to
fly so they just perish in the trenches.

-John