market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] lymes disease

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas Patrick Hurtgen <hurtgenmeadows AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] lymes disease
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:19:34 -0500

Richard, Thank you very much. I read the article and now understand much more about the disease prevention procedures for Lyme disease. Tom
On Feb 2, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Richard Robinson wrote:

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:53:27 -0500, Thomas Patrick Hurtgen wrote:

What are the preventive
measures and what are the early sign of the disease?

In my experience, the best preventive measures are: a thorough inspection of one's whole body, every day; showering at least daily (it helps wash off unattached ticks); and paying attention to little itches. The deer tick takes a while to get to your blood supply, all the while causing minor irritation that is easy to ignore. If you pay attention, you are likely to catch them before they get settled in. Ticks attached less than 24 hours, and that have not become engorged, are highly unlikely to pass along Lyme disease. If you discover the tick after that, but within 72 hours of attachment, you can probably prevent disease with a single 200 mg dose of doxycycline

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/345/2/79

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/