market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:49:47 -0600

Perhaps we should consider outlawing feedlots? That way birds won't pick up ecoli there.
On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

I think it's more complicated than that. The Feds are responding to consumer fears about food safety, whether farms are small or big. One of the recent food safety scares was over contaminated spnach in a field where no manure was used. The source has been narrowed down to possible overhead flight of flocks of birds that had visited beef feedlots nearby. How do farms, small or big, control that kind of risk? Perhaps if we had more localized farming at a scale that would allow more people to farm we could get away from the risk to larger numbers of people from one contamination. But then we'd need to be able to produce reliably and in sufficient quantities near the eastern population centers year-round. We're not there yet, particularly when cheap petroleum keeps transportation costs low.