market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:51:10 -0500

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:34:22 -0500, Road's End Farm wrote:
> I usually make my "pumpkin" pies (for home use, I don't sell pies) from
> winter squash. Most winter squashes make better pies than pumpkins. Hubbards
> are fantastic for this, Butternut very good; but leftovers of almost any
> winter squash I'll put into a pie. (I suspect spaghetti squashes wouldn't
> work well, but I don't like those much anyway.)

We use Bon-Bon buttercups for pies and breads. We haven't found anything as
tasty. I planted quite a little spread of Johnny's new "honey bear" acorn
squash, and was pretty disappointed in the taste--bland and stringy, compared
to rich and sweet and smooth Bon-Bon.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/