market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiener, Benjamin L CPT NG NG FORSCOM" <benjamin.l.wiener AT us.army.mil>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:15:11 +0300

Tom, what do you intend to use as a heat source to char the wood that doesn't
use carbon? Nuclear? solar? hydro? At best, in the most efficient designs,
40% of the carbon used in the process remains as biochar. then add in the
fuel costs for transporting the wood and then distributing the char, and then
you can see that it really isn't as "green" as you imagine.

Ben Wiener.