market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flame weeding Salad production systems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flame weeding Salad production systems
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:23:28 -0400

I would look at the time and investment involved in putting up and taking down the low tunnel hoops several times and compare to the cost of a high tunnel or haygrove style structure. You may find that the high tunnel or haygrove will be cheaper than the low tunnels over several years of use, especially when labor is factored in.

I would also look hard at a Jang Seeder from Mechanical Transplanter and give it serious consideration compared to the Johnny's seeder. I have a 3 row Jang and it does a much better job at singulating and spacing seed than my pinpoint style seeder ever did.

Andy

Chris Corbin wrote:
*Forgot to add a couple of things*:
Hello,
I am trying to get my production systems down for our salad mix next spring. Below are the methods I intend to use please let me know what you think.
I am going to start the season out early with some low tunnel two row quick hoops.
-Put low tunnel hoops up to warm up the soil.
-Take down low tunnel hoops to till the soil.
-Put the hoops back up for sterile seed bed wait two weeks.
-Take hoops down and flame weed the beds with a 4 nozzle flame weeder <http://www.rtol.net/jonathanmeyer/flameweeder/toppage4.htm>
(DOES Anyone know where I can get a cheaper 4 nozzle flame weeder? or plans to build one?)
-Plant salad mix verities very dense with the Jonneys six row seeder <http://mail.google.com/mail/%28http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=621&item=9156%29> water and cover with low tunnel quick hoops.
-Move low tunnels to next plot for moisture control when salad mix can survive outside*
-Finially harverst with the jonneys greens harvester <http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=628&item=9334%29> *Note - The last two springs have been very wet and I have not been able to get into the field for salad planting. The inclusion of low tunnel hoops would allow me to regulate the moisture in the soil and thus allow for more consistent supply to restaurants and markets.

I am trying to get my production systems down for our salad mix
next spring. Below are the methods I intend to use please let me
know what you think.
I am going to start the season out early with some low tunnel two
row quick hoops.
-Put low tunnel hoops up to warm up the soil.
-Take down low tunnel hoops to till the soil.
-Put the hoops back up for sterile seed bed wait two weeks.
-Take hoops down and flame weed the beds with a 4 nozzle flame
weeder - http://www.rtol.net/jonathanmeyer/flameweeder/toppage4.htm
(DOES Anyone know where I can get a cheaper 4 nozzle flame weeder?
or plans to build one?)
-Plant salad mix verities, water and cover with low tunnel quick
hoops.
-Move low tunnels to next plot for moisture control when salad mix
can survive outside*
*Note - The last two springs have been very wet and I have not
been able to get into the field for salad planting. The inclusion
of low tunnel hoops would allow me to regulate the moisture in the
soil and thus allow for more consistent supply to restaurants and
markets. -- Chris Corbin
Onion Creek Farm Ames Iowa(Zone 5)
(641)780-5446

--