market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] curing sweet potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ken Bezilla <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] curing sweet potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 02:33:37 +0000

I've always cured sweet potatoes in the dark, finding a large enough room and stacking the pallets for curing them, and putting a space heater and a humidifier or two in there.  At 90 degrees they'll cure in a week, while "only" in the 80s takes more like 10 days.  The theory being that a hot and fast curing makes for sweeter sweeter potatoes and better storing ones; ones we've done this way have kept well until May!

Last time we cured them we skipped spreading them out on pallets, just kept them in large boxes, and they cured fine, just gave them an extra day or two to be safe.

Small skinny sweet potatoes are great for using for sweet potato fries!

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community
central VA