market-farming - [Market-farming] deer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Meredith <meredith848 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] deer
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 04:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

Wyatt, the old style raccoon trap is to utilize their curiosity.
Like the monkey who wont let go of the cookie, to get its hand out of the
jar, a coon will grasp a shiny object in a hole in a downed log, and not let
go of it. I read it in a book, so if it works , let me know.
Also, metal and rap music keep away all sorts of critters, so get yourself an
old radio, and play it for them.
Michael

I see Deer tracks all the time but they don't seem to cause any damage
to my crops, the raccoons are a problem now though. I've asked the
people around here, who seem to have similar experience as mine is
limited in this area, and they seem to think its because the deer go
for all the soybeans around here.

I trapped out all the
little Raccoons, took some doing but I had some help from hurricane Ike
when it knocked down all the hollow tree I had, but the big one don't
seem to go for the traps. I don't know if that's because they are
smarter or because they won't fit in the traps. Any suggestion how to
rid myself of these walking disasters? I had a number of groundhogs
but the come out in the daytime and I managed to deal with them. I
kept the raccoons at bay till recently but now they have found the
sweet corn and you know how that can be.

  • [Market-farming] deer, Michael Meredith, 08/24/2009