market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying a New Fridge

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying a New Fridge
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:06:22 -0400

On Jun 29, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Owsley lucy wrote:

If this is for your farm produce spend the big bucks and get a commercial model.

I bought a new home fridge 2 years ago and was informed that I would likely be replacing it in 5 to 7 years (though the sales rep said I might get 10 years out of it as it has no freezer and it is the freezer that usually goes out). I was surprised as this fridge was replacing one that was something like 28 years old. the sales rep said they do not makeĀ appliancesĀ to last much more than 5 to 7 years any longer-plannedĀ obsolescence and all.

A commercial fridge will last 20+ years

In addition, I think you might be able to get a commercial fridge designed for produce that will not dehydrate the contents.

Home refrigerators are now all frost-free, which may be an advantage from the cleaning standpoint, but has the huge disadvantage that anything in them that's not covered tight will be dried out by the dehumidification process that makes them frost free (that, I think, is why they have vegetable/fruit drawers; things in the drawers are protected from this effect.)

(using an ancient commercial cooler and an old refrigerator on the side)