market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing/Crows/Geese ie PEST's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Emily Curtis-Murphy <emilydash AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing/Crows/Geese ie PEST's
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:48:24 -0400

Transplanting sweet corn lets you get a jump on the season, and
ensures a solid stand in places with crow problems. I've seen crows
following the seeder and picking out seed kernels as fast as they can
eat. Very depressing. Transplanted sweet corn requires some extra
room in the greenhouse, but they follow the early brassicas and
lettuces, seeded as those go out and leave space. It is important to
plant the seeds pretty deep in the cell - 3/4" or so, as plants grown
from near surface planted seeds tend to flop over as they're planted
and no longer have support of their neighbors. 2 seeds/ cell in 72
cell trays, planted out at 18" spacing, 2 rows to 48" on center beds
seems to be successful spacing for high yield. Having two plants in
each spot is also nice when picking corn.

Only four rows wide doesn't seem like a big enough block to ensure
good pollination - I only have experience with blocks of an acre or
more, anyone know what the minimum size planting is for very good
pollination?

Emily, VT