market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: rbfarr AT erols.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:17:06 -0400

Robert - I saw a demonstration of effective low and baited electric fencing at Greenbelt a few years back. (In fact, rode over there in a Loudoun County van.) They were able to keep deer out of good feed with fences low enough for we humans to step over. yes, the fences were baited. However, they said that the low fence never works IF THE DEER HAS EVER FED INSIDE THE AREA THE FENCE SURROUNDS. So, if you start the season with a hot baited hot wire, they won't come in, but if they've damaged your crops already, you are too late to fence them out.

Premier fencing has plans on the web for low cost 3-dimensional fencing that is supposed to be effective.

I've always used the Dow 7ft netting on loose plastic posts but this past year the deer came and went from that fencing at will (not afraid to crawl under it. In the past, I believe the 'moving' quality of the entire fence line scared them away. Not last year!)

Deer eat your pepper plants?

=Allan in Shepherdstown

Howdy, y'all.

I'm looking for some affordable electric fencing to keep out our four-legged friends.

I'd like to try 3 - 4' tall posts with hot wire (powered by a 12-volt battery), hanging peanut-butter on aluminum strips every few feet. The assumption is the deer will taste the PB and be zapped, therefore avoiding the area.

Does anyone have experience with that approach, and do you have recommendations as to what kind of fencing to buy?

I'm hoping to avoid the 8' tall plastic fence.

Thanks much -

Robert Farr
The Chile Man
http://www.thechileman.com