market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Germination?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Germination?
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:59:31 -0500

OK, I looked it up.

=============

'Seeds - The Definitive Guide to Growing, History, and Lore,' by Peter
Loewer, Timber Press, Portland, OR, 1995, p. 57.

[First, he lists a few anecdotal but probably untrue instances of older
seed being reputed to be better, then goes on to say:]

'But most of the experimental evidence shows that older seed, unless
properly stored, produces inferior plants.'

==============

I would assume that - even if 'properly stored' this process would
continue. Freezing would certainly it down tremendously, however.

About the book:

This is *not* a guide to growing seeds from a practical standpoint, in
spite of the title.

And my edition of the book is especially annoying - it was an 'update' of
an older edition, a stop-gap between the older edition and a [not then yet
published] newer edition. So the author refers several times to some of
the info in this edition being outdated and contradicted by newer evidence,
but he doesn't tell you WHICH info changed. (The really newer and revised
edition may be out by now, I don't know.)

So I don't recommend the book, as a whole. It has some interesting
information, however.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.