market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse nighttime temperature

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "shopkins" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse nighttime temperature
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:51:48 -0500

What's the minimum you would let your greenhouse get down to at night,
if you've got tomato seedlings in there (plus onions, a few greens)
but everything is on heating mats? I'm banking on relying more on the
heating mats to keep the environment right around the seedlings warm,
instead of heating the whole greenhouse.

Rachel

You can help those plants on the mats by adding a single layer of newspaper
over them from sun down to sun up. Just lay them right on the plant tops, gently.

The book says never let tomatoes go below 60F, but there have been lots of nights here when we were darn happy to keep 40 and the end result was okay.

A frosted crop in the greenhouse or outdoors can be saved by sprinkling before sunrise, some are more sensitive than others, but if in doubt........put the hose to them.

MAsteveINE