market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lowering Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "shopkins" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lowering Prices
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 07:34:46 -0500

Hi All.

I've been thinking about doing 6-packs but because most home growers don't
need 6 of each thing I'm considering growing in 6-packs but allowing them to
mix and match. So they get an empty pack and choose 3 different tomato
varieties, 2 peppers and an eggplant. This would be at markets, so I would
be there to ASSIST with the transfer from growing pack to sale pack :)

Deb

I would think you might be building a real PITA!

First you will have to tag every plant, then you will have to loosen every
plant so that total powderheads dont just pull them out by the leaves. Next
you will have to deal with the mess and take the loss for tho plants folk
break. Then there are the ones who will insist on being allowed to take
appart half the packs in the place to get "just the plants I like best in
this pack". And then they will want pricing by the plant, so they dont have
to have "so many, dear, I just want these 2"

Next would be how to handle partial packs, 3 out of a 6 and you have a unit
that insists on falling over, and will have to be hand held when watering.

Consider 4 or 3 cell packs, for single plants consider something like a Belden mini which is a 3 1/2 inch square pot that fits 18 per 1020 flat.(Those 1801 cells give the instant inpression of something cheap).At this place we went to 804 cellpacks and found that the bigger cell was much better about holding water all day, and very few folk mentioned the 2 "missing" plants. I planned a major plug shipment for the week after Mothers Day which all went into 3 1/2" for sales through July, that extra soil insured they would not dry out with once a day watering.

MAsteveINE