market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic & Walking Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT alltel.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic & Walking Onions
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:05:29 -0500

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

Regards to the list:

If a person had bought garlic and walking and Egyptian onions last fall and forgot to plant them, what would happen if that person ran across them on an unseasonably warm (60º in north central Missouri) day in January and planted them in some really soft garden soil the chickens had been fluffing themselves in?

 I also always hold back about 1/3 of my elephant garlic crop and plant it on a warm day in February in KY zone 6.  They do fantastic and are harvested about 3-4 wks after my fall-planted ones.

This yr I also plan to do a section of regular hardneck garlic and see how that does in the coming summer.

Bobbett