market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>, davepurpura AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractors
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:13:49 -0800

Get a New Holland with Supersteer. Turns on a dime. 4 wd is nice. Hydrostatic transmission is fast, and easy...

Peter

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Willie McKemie wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:04:16PM -0800, david purpura wrote:
Hi All.? I'm in the market for a new tractor this year and would like to hear suggestions/experiences/warnings, etc..?

We're using old farmalls for tillage, cultivation, mowing, etc.? I'm looking for a tractor to use as a loader for making compost, to pull a transplanter, and possibly a plastic-layer.? Future uses might be rototilling, or attaching a backhoe.? I have sandy, well- drained soil, I don't think I need four wheel drive, and don't need a lot of horsepower.? I'm thinking about the 5000 series JD, or similar 40 - 50 hp machine.

I've never had a 4WD tractor and always considered 4WD to be an
un-necessary complication and expense. However, I was complaining to a
tractor dealer about his poor selection of 2WD and his response was:
"Most everyone wants a loader and the 4WD works better with a loader."
That makes sense, since lifting the loader (or bale fork) greatly
reduces the weight on the rear wheels.

--
http://evalbum.com/2314
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!