market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fedco etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fedco etc.
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:35:29 -0500

I suspect there's a connection between cheaper prices and slower
service >

If we are trying to match service and price I would consider that tough to do, when Johnnys has a super farm growing seed crops as well as breeding and multiplying new crops. They have an impressive (for an organic start up) record with All-America; as well as a bunch of varieties in their catalog that have been developed at Albion. Sales are at a large facility at Winslow, has a retail store, and is steps from the best deli in Maine, sure makes running down there for the odd packet worth while as a break in the busy season.

Fedco has from its roots been a coop that gives us excellent value while working with more and more local growers to provide local organic and or natural material. It has a an amazing person at the helm in C.R. Lawn who writes most of the veg catalog and I doubt that he opens many books to do so; they operate out of a retired chicken barn with a super efficient home built facitity. Stock is sorted into cardboard boxes and picked into those apple harvest buckets that strap to the chest. They operate on their schedule which also allows almost everybody to also be a grower in his own world but do internet orders through the summer.

It is interesting to attend growers programs here in New England and have Rob Johnston (Johnny) and C. R. Lawn (Fedco) spend an evening with growers dealing with how to select and grow out own seed. These gentlemen want us to succeed and do what they can to help!

MAsteveINE