market-farming - [Market-farming] Fedco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fedco
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:48:06 -0500

I don't have much experience with Fedco but I've had freinds that have repeatedly had almost half the seed they ordered from Fedco turn out to be the wrong ones. They make it right but often you can't tell until its grown out but then you don't have the crop you planned for.  They are notorious for it and they admit they have many problems, they even mention some of them in their catalog,.  For example one mentioned there was Cabbage that turned out to be brussel sprouts, hard to catch that sort of thing by inspection.  Since its a Co-op they depend on a lot of people and some of them apparently don't to have very good quality control.  I plan to order quite a bit from them and I think what they are doing is great but I'm expecting more than a few headaches.  Its to be expected in small doses, I even had a few problems with Johnny's but there is a limit.

Another good source is Seed Savers, I've ordered from them many times and only had one problem but they aren't the cheapest by any means and I primarily use them for unusual Heirlooms.

Get a life insurance quote online. Click to compare rates and save.