market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Happy Holiday

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Happy Holiday
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:23:33 -0400

No zipcode here in Dominica, but our weather is as unpredictably crazy as U.S. weather sounds. Used to be that Nov-Feb was best growing season -- mostly sunny days, frequent (usually night time, early A.M.) rain. Now we're having weeks on end without rain; then weeks with nothing but. Farmers afraid to plant. Market short of most everything since earlier weather (summer-fall) so violently rainy that crop after crop washed out. It's like starting all over in a new place without past experience/wisdom to guide. We're trying to reduce risk via diversity but that also increases work load and probably moderates potential income.

So many thanks to all of you on the list for the many contributions of self and wisdom over the year. Best wishes for Happy Holidays and a peaceful, healthful, joyful and bountiful New Year.

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

Marty Kraft wrote:
Kansas City 64127