market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mobile strawberry picking platform

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mobile strawberry picking platform
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:03:42 -0500

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:27:34 -0500, you wrote:

>Do any of you have any leads? Have you ever used one, and is it worth using
>for picking 1-2 hours per day during strawberry season?

If you are only going to use it for one to two hours per day during
strawberry season, I wonder if this would perhaps be suitable?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,2120&p=45921

I have one, bought from Lee Valley, it's very sturdy. I use it constantly
during gardening season.

It does not straddle the row, obviously, but you can get very close to the
plants with it.

Also, whether or not you can use this comfortably depends (to at least some
degree) on how tall you are. I'm 5'4" tall, it's great for me. My husband
is 6'2" tall, and it was not at all comfortable for him; his knees were
jammed up under his chin when he tried to use it. (Probably he could find
a comfortable way to use it if he *needed to*, however.)

Pat

.
--
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide
what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall