market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoopbenders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Randy James <gliderflyer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoopbenders
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:58:01 -0800

What they sell is actually a pretty low-tech, high quality bender that works excellent. I don't know them personally but I think they are pretty busy folks running a nursery as well as selling these benders. There is a video (not Hollywood quality) on their web page at http://www.hoopbenders.net/home.html that shows the usage of the tool. He also sells on eBay and there is a current auction right now for the C-20 model which is the one I bought and used. You can see it at http://tinyurl.com/5mhklu and it shows pretty clearly what you receive.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. The bender allows you to easily bend three 10'-6" section of chain link fence pipe into a 20' radius (they have benders for other widths as well). You set short sections of pipe into the ground with concrete and drop these arched sections into them and put a tek screw in to hold it in place. I framed the ends with 2x4 material and some simple wire bracing. One big money saver was instead of using wiggle wire to attach the plastic, I used binding tape and staples. The binding tape is really just a thick plastic ribbon that you lay over the plastic and staple with a heavy duty staple gun. It takes longer than wiggle wire to install, but the plastic is every bit as secure and I saved about $500 by using it. If you look at the pics on my website most of this should be clear. I'm happy to send higher res pics to anyone who would like to see them.

I'm probably going into too much detail here but suffice it to say that my greenhouse is professional quality and very strong. the bending of the pipes goes very fast and really is easy. The instructions and instructional videos are not top notch Hollywood productions but are definitely adequate to do the job. I have found their communications excellent. They provide their home phone number for support and when I had a few questions early on and I just called Loy at home and we chatted for awhile until he was satisfied that he had answered all my questions. Very nice guy. It may not sound like it but I have no financial interest in this company, I'm just a very happy customer.

Let me know if I can help more.

Randy

> Randy - I've been talking to these folks recently and I have to admit
> that I remain confused about what their product is! More confused by
> how direct questions go unanswered.
>
> What exactly did you buy from them? What sort of structure did you
> have to build in order to hold what you got from them motionless
> enough to be useful?
>
> I'll check out your webpage.
>
> Thanks -Allan in WV

Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.