market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chisel Plow (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ecoponderosa <3cedarsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chisel Plow (?)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:02:26 -0400

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net> wrote:
Is a chisel plow an implement that I should be able to buy locally or
should I just plan to get one from Market Farm Implement?

Typical chisel plow for 50+ hp tractor:

Hoeme Chisel
Chromed Cap Chisel
HS13CP    Weight 6 lbs.

http://www.roll-a-cone.com/sweeps_and_blades.htm

Bolted to:

Hoeme Shank G-9
1"X2"X22" Clearance (26" & 30" available)
Weight 21lbs.
http://www.roll-a-cone.com/shanks.htm

Mounted on:

Here's a 3 point Hoeme plow with sweeps instead of chisels mounted on the shanks
http://www.roll-a-cone.com/3-pointhoeme.htm

You can see the type of frame that would be needed for a 3 point Hoeme 3 shank chisel version;
just look at where the hitch components are mounted at the front; upper and lower 4" toolbars with 2, 3 or 4 webs connecting them,
depending on number and spacing of the shanks. If you're doing individual production beds with this you would want the maximum
spread on the shanks to be 16" to 24" less than the width of the bed being plowed. The toolbar/3 point frame would be sized accordingly.
This implement serves as a combination tillage tool (spring-loaded toothed field harrow) and subsoiler and is excellent for use in early Spring tillage;
does a great job de-compacting soil 6-20" down; can be followed with rototilling then hilling/bedding.