market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] HDPE

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] HDPE
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:52:03 -0400

i've wondered for some time if LDPE (black somewhat flexible water
lines) would be better than our current mainline system of layflat.
layflat is ok. . . certainly cheap, but between vehicles and rodents
it's got a 3 year life at best. are LDPE mainlines a better
alternative? for this coming season i'll likely have 1400' of 1.5"
layflat mains where it's convienent to hit with various mowers (sickle
bar works well). i'd like to get some buried water lines, but the
500$/day rental on a ditcher keeps it a low priority. seems like a
more rigid plastic would be easier to repair, and less vulnerable to
damage. . . but can you leave it out all winter without worries?

thanks
john
danville, in