market-farming - [Market-farming] Tractors for Hilling and so forth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tractors for Hilling and so forth
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

I like my new Grillo.  (Much the same family as the BCS).  These versatile little "walk-behind" two-wheeled tractors take all manner of attachments and are made in Italy.  They are becoming more available in the United States.  See www.earthtoolsbcs.com for one source in Kentucky....earthtools will ship the tractors completely ready to go.  I got a smallish one with differential that takes the rotary plow.  These guys at earthtools make and adapt attachments to fit these two-wheeled tractors.  My rotary plow is actually for the BCS and they make it so it can spin in the opposite direction for the Grillo.

They take a sully, wagon, various mowers, small balers, small black plastic layers, rototillers, reciprocating plows, snow removal attachments and more.  If you are working with 5 acres or less, this is a great machine and comes at far less cost than the cheapest full-sized U.S. made tractor.  They make diesel versions as well.   You use the same machine with different attachments to do a number of jobs traditional American farmers would have several machines for.

But the reason I'm writing is to say that I have successfully used the rotary plow to not only turn under sod and very tall cover crop, but to make asparagus beds and raised beds.  They would hill your potatoes in no time and dig a trench in a couple of passes.  You can move the handles to the side so you don't have to walk in the trench.

I am a woman and I am using this tractor easily (Not the largest one though).  The only thing I wish is that the levers were a bit smaller to fit my hand better.  Still, after using it for a few hours, I've got it down pretty good and it doesn't tire me to use.

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
302-945-0350