market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: castens AT nepower.coop, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:31:07 -0500

$25 annually plus $5 per market.

However, this is a) a small market in a small town b) run entirely by volunteer work, including manager's duties, which are spread out over several members c) we don't usually put on music etc. d) we're open air and thus have no expenses for keeping up a structure. (A pavilion would be great. Unfortunately, there's no possible place to put one up that's also close enough for those of our in-village customers who walk to market. If there were such a place, I think we'd raise fees to spring for one; we could probably get a New York State grant to cover some of the cost.)

I think the questions are: where is the money going? do you think you're getting your money's worth for it? can you make enough at that market to justify the fees? do you have enough to sell that you can make that extra amount, and if not can you raise that much to sell next year? is there a cheaper market where you could also do as well, without having to travel so much further that this will eat up the difference?