market-farming - [Market-farming] SSAWG annual conference

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] SSAWG annual conference
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:29:20 -0500

Good morning all!

I know it is early to be thinking about farming conferences, but this one is going to be so exciting!  The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (http://www.ssawg.org) annual conference is going to be in Louisville, KY again in 2008.  This conference always has a large congregation of the best and brightest minds in the Southern region – farmers, extension, university and others.  Last year we had over 1000 in attendance.  That’s a lot of networking!!

It will be held at the Galt House which is a beautiful hotel with Ohio River views, rooms and suites with high speed internet, a conservatory connecting the two towers and plenty of meeting spaces and conversation spaces.  It will be the third year the conference is held here, and we hope the largest yet.

But, for the good stuff:

Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms

January 16-19, 2008

Louisville, KY

Galt House Hotel and Suites

64 conference sessions, with a major emphasis on practical

8 short courses, including ones on high tunnels, flowers, organic veggies, bees and more.

5 field trips going to farms that use high tunnels, organic practices, permaculture, etc.

5 mini courses with hands-on activities like building chicken tractors and setting up market displays

20 U-Pick Networking Sessions for learning from each other

Trade Show and Video Show

Taste of Kentucky Dinner

A conversation with Wendell Berry about why he and the rest of us in the sustainable agriculture community have taken on this necessary work.

Keynote by Joel Salatin titled "Healing the Planet, One Plate at a Time"

Oh yes, and Paul and I will be teaching the short course on high tunnels, and hosting a field trip to our farm.

So, we hope to see a lot of you in Louisville in January!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

  • [Market-farming] SSAWG annual conference, Wiediger, Alison, 08/28/2007