market-farming - [Market-farming] Leafhoppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Leafhoppers
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:04:01 +0000

Good news for our bean crops this year has been no sightings of Mexican bean beetles. Not sure why -- the parasitic wasps last year really kept down their numbers? Extensive cultivation where last year's crops were? Dunno. But glad they're not here!

Bad news is that we've got a new bug on the beans this year, looks to be leafhoppers. I'm reading up on organic controls... spraying doesn't sound easy, since they hang out underneath the leaves (and the leaves are curling up)... lacewings sound more attractive... anyone have experience with organic controls for them?

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central Virginia

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!  http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1