market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Glen Eco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Glen Eco
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:33:23 -0400

Hi Beth,

I really appreciate your interest in what is going on at our place. About a month ago I started writing another entry for my blog entitled "The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of" where I was attempting to express my feelings as I face the challenges of operating our farm while dealing with the aftermath of the fire. Sure to form I have been detained and the blog entry still needs some editing and has not been posted yet. Since you have expressed some interest and there are others on the list who might want to know I will try to give a brief summary here.

They got started rebuilding the house this week. About 3/4 of the studded walls are up and we hope to have it under roof by this time next week. It sure helps my mood to finally see some progress after the months of going to the farm every day and looking at those bare basement walls and piles of junk still lying around.

Much of the market garden is about a month behind schedule with many things only recently planted or transplanted and just getting started but we are picking ripe tomatoes. I am buying more stuff than usual from a neighbor in order to keep the CSA boxes full but I can live with that. I spent much of today chisel plowing and discing spent spring garden plots in preparation for a big fall garden. I am going to try to squeeze in a late sweet corn patch and pray for late fall frosts. I'm bound and determined to get a good fall carrot patch seeded by mid July. I have a good amount of cauliflower (in four colors) going in the greenhouse and need to get the fall broccoli and chinese cabbage started ASAP. We are in need of some good rain.

For the second time since our disaster unspeakable tragedy has struck in our community which makes our loss pale in comparison. The first was the shooting at VA Tech (my Alma Mater) which took 33 lives on April 16. The second struck several days ago to a Mennonite family in our local county when a man and wife, their two oldest children and their hired man perished from toxic fumes emanating from a manure pit near their barn. I am closely blood related to that family. I plan to attend their funeral tomorrow and wish I could do more to help, especially since that same Mennonite community reached out to us so generously in response to our need.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
Virginia

blog: www.gleneco.blogspot.com

Good to hear from you Christine (and Marlin). How is the rebuilding/keeping
up with summer going?

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY