market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:51:52 -0400

This is interesting. Recently, on two different ocassions, Marlin found a headless chicken in a nestbox. Our chicken house is on a wagon. We stand on the wagon hitch to lift the flap and reach into the nest box to gather eggs. In the one case he saw blood on the outside of the flap. We have been trying to figure out if a fox could/would climb up and reach in. (We know foxes are around and have eaten some chickens and a neighbor's duck outside of the electra-net fence.) Could an owl, hawk, or weasel lift a plywood flap?
Christine Burkholder

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fellenz" <fellenz AT fltg.net>