market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cilantro blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cilantro blossoms
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:43:12 -0700

I sold them, actually flowering cilantro, to one Seattle-area restaurant many years ago. The chef liked the more intense flavor of the entire flowering plant. No one else has expressed an interest since then. I would cut the top 1-2 feet and then thin out the very hard stems. Very labor intensive, and the stuff wilts at the drop of a hat.

The flowers are very tiny, the petals start falling almost the minute they start to bloom and you would have to have an awful lot of plants to get enough flowering tops to make up much weight.

Unless you have a real specific need, I wouldn't waste the time.

Kate