market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Prices: New Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Prices: New Potatoes
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:53:54 -0500

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 09:04:00AM -0500, Tom Circle wrote:
> What would be a good price for new red potatoes. We grow in high tunnels
> with an early market and get good prices but as soon as garden potatoes
> start coming in the prices get cut in half. If I can get the higher price
> why won't the other growers keep their prices up.

Small potatoes (and early ones of any size), we get $2 for a ~2lb bag.
As the season progress, we up the weight of the bags of larger potatoes
and continue to charge $2. About 3lb for $2 is as low as we go. We
find we can always get $1/lb for small potatoes. These are field
grown red potatoes; white potatoes do not normally produce well around
here.

It is completely normal and to be expected that prices decline as
supply increases. Think "free market" and "supply and demand".

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 440 days 19 hours 37 minutes