market-farming - [Market-farming] Borax/Boron

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <SustainableAg AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Borax/Boron
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:20:39 -0400

One of lifes minor problems here is how to get a teaspoon of boron
for our beet patch in the rural hills of central Maine. During the American Sugar fracus some 40 years ago it was a simple matter for our local fertilizer plant to add 1.3% of boron to 50 tons but I think they might kick at dosing up a half pound. SO, here I am with a $4.00 box of 20 Mule Team Borax, and a bit of curiosity as to wether I should approace the beet rows with a salt shaker or just my loosely calibrated fingers which I use for fertilizer and lime.
IOW......how much would you use?

MAsteveINE