market-farming - [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rachel Airmet <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:23:33 -0700

I was interested to see the discussion about managing cover crops between
plastic-mulched rows. Is anybody out there trying to manage a cover crop
between rows of sweet corn, or other widely spaced crops such as cucurbits?
I've heard about possibly planting dutch clover in between the corn rows, to
smother weeds and add nitrogen. Does it actually work? At what point do
you plant the clover?

Rachel

--
Rachel Airmet