market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT hughes.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 18:23:29 -0400

After harvesting my mixed lettuce, I put it into a double sink, rinse it
twice, sometimes 3 times, then I use a lettuce spinner and put it into a
large new glad bag, the kind that expands. I will fix up 3 or 4 1/2 pound
bags of Lettuce and put all of this into ice chests. I think the lettuce
keeps longer when I do it this way and not fill up all the small bags at
once.
As I run out of the bagged up lettuce, I bag up more. Whatever doesn't sell,
seems to be much fresher to me. I take 2 to 3 ice chests to the markets of
lettuce. The bags I use, I think are 10 x 13, but I am not sure. These are
on rolls, not slitted bags, just clear plastic like the grocery stores use,
only I don't have any printing on mine. I don't use anything to close up the
bags, either, as I find leaving them just folded over keeps the lettuce
fresher. I do have twisties available if people ask for them.
I sell my mixed lettuce for $2.50/bag.
Sue Wells