market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 08:27:28 -0400

I do it the same way, but I only do 5-10 pounds a week. I have a mix of
red and green leaf lettuce; this year I'm growing all heirloom varieties.
I also do a Spring Mix with kale, lettuce, Mizuna, and whatever else I
have...it's very popular. I don't have a spinner (or didn't...I found one
over the winter); I rinse it and put it in a bin with drainage in the
fridge for a couple hours. It's about the right moisture content when I
bag it; it stays fresh and slime-free for many days.

I can't get the price you do around here. I charge $2 for a 1/2 pound bag
(I guess I should raise my price!).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA