market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ants
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:18:04 -0400

Title: Karen Sutherland
In Dominica, we have ants everywhere this year too and in wildly separate locations (primary mountainside farm site: cooler and wetter and on large garden site 5 km away in hotter-drier coastal location).   Aphids not the only problem.  Also ant nests at roots of plants destroying the plants.  Biting ants in such profusion on fruit trees that we were unable to pick.   So many (and so irritable) biting ant nests in ground that standing/working most anywhere problematic.  Ant nests, as Barb found, in all kinds of unexpected and bizarre places.  At least 4 different types (probably more) way out of whack.  DE ineffective.  Any organic control suggestions would be so welcome.

I wonder what used to control their numbers that are now missing or not effective.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT marpin.dm

rootsfarm AT protoscape.com

OakCamp2 AT aol.com wrote:
Courtney,

Ants love the honeydew produced by aphids- the sticky substance that they excrete.  The Organicide will take care of the aphids- but only if it comes in contact with them.  Take care in spraying under leaves and to the soil level if your can.  It will only kill soft bodied insects so the ants will remain.

The ants are nuts this year- I have them everywhere.  I opened a fresh bag of soiless mix today and there was an ant nest inside of it!  I picked up a 4 pack of pansies and there was an ant nest in the 1020 flat.  What gives? They started coming into our house before the snow had melted while the ground was frozen- isn't that unusual?

Barb
Oak Camp Herb Farm, LLC
Lodi, WI
608 592-5381