market-farming - [Market-farming] Ants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Ants
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:24:24 -0400

Do ants eat aphids?  B/C I have a ton of them crawling around my plants this year and I know I have aphids.  I can’t get rid of them.  I sprayed before there were plants out there and I have sprayed several times since they have shown up on the plants.  I am organic and I use something called Organicide.  I am just besides myself right now as I don’t know how to get rid of them.  By seeing the ants crawling around the plants, I was hoping that they were eating the ants???  Do they do that?  Can someone please help me?????  I want to stay organic but this is the 3rd year I have been battling these damn aphids.  I don’t know what to do anymore.

Thanks

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh

I've noticed in the past that having ants in a greenhouse seems to exacerbate aphid problems (probably since the ants are moving the aphids around and spreading them out).  That hasn't been a problem for us this year

-- seems like we had enough ladybugs to keep down the aphids -- but it is something I'd like to be more proactive about in the future.  Anyone have a favorite method for dealing with greenhouse ants?

Ken Bezilla

Acorn Community Farm

Mineral, VA