market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Burdock

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Burdock
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 05:40:02 -0400

Can Gobo grow in tropical digs?

 As I am about to leave Dominica for my annual trip to U.S., which includes buying seed, I sent email to my customer list asking what they'd like us to grow.  A Japanese customer suggested gobo but I thought that required cool soils.

After 5+ weeks of relentless drought, sun & heat, we are finally getting some beautiful rain here.  Too late for some things (we don't have a source of water/irrigation in place yet) but in the nick of time for others.  Dry season usually lasts from mid to late March to midJune, but at mountain elevations ordinarily gets a few showers in between.  The weather here -- like so many places -- is crazy this year.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT marpin.dm

rootsfarm AT protoscape.com

Allan Balliett wrote:
1st year gobo is what the market wants. 2nd year roots ARE pithy.
Gobo is best harvested in the fall of the first year. Price around
here is $5 per pound for thin, long, straight roots in a bundle. Does
not sell fast. Leave the sugar out of the previous recipe and this is
very good stuff. Essential for all herbal cancer cures. -Allan

Just dug up a bunch of burdock and intend to sell it at market this
Saturday. How much should I be charging and anyone know what to do with
it-Recipes?

I do know so far that small roots looks good and large roots look pithy
and are going on the compost with the greens