market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic wood treatment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic wood treatment
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:52:16 -0500

On Mar 2, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Sam White wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Just got off the phone with Martin's Produce Supply.
They have treated Honduras Pine Stakes at 35 cents a
piece. I asked if they had any untreated because I
was organic, and they said they were not creosote, and
organic growers have been buying them.

These are probably available through Nolt's as well.

Any idea as to what these stakes are treated with?

Better check with your certifier before buying. When I last asked mine, I was told to use metal or untreated wood. It's possible there's something new that's now acceptable; but I haven't heard about it, if so (though would like to, if it's true).

I don't mean to accuse Nolt's necessarily of deliberately misleading you. But they may have had someone buy from them who thinks of themselves as organic, but is not certified, and doesn't actually understand the regulations. It does happen, despite the USDA.

In any case, Nolt's should be able to tell you, not just what the treatment isn't, but specifically what it is. If they don't know what it is, then you can't even ask your certifier whether the treatment is OK.