market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic solutions for hanging tomato baskets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tos AT att.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic solutions for hanging tomato baskets
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:51:05 +0000

Hello,

    Jeff, your hanging tomato baskets sound interesting,would you mind explaining in detail what it consisted of?  any pruning ?  any estimates of yield? varieties,etc.

Thanks

Jim

-------------- Original message from Jeff Cantara <jeffcantara AT yahoo.com>: --------------

Greetings-

We are a certified organic farm.  Last year we experimented with hanging tomato baskets for the first time.  We used a mix of an excellent compost based potting soil, some vermiculite, some peat based potting mix and a generous scoop of North Country Organics Pro-Start (2-3-4??).  The problem was that the vigorous plants were exhausting the nutrients in the basket about while there was still six weeks or more production left in the plants.

Our conventional counterparts use Osmacoat ??? pellets and other slow release products.  I am looking for some OMRI-listed alternatives.  Any input much appreciated.  Thanks

Jeff
NRF
Zone 5

Finding fabulous fares is fun.