market-farming - [Market-farming] Seed Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seed Potatoes
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:11:50 -0500

Steve,
Finding seed potatoes for a June planting is a challenge! The stores say "no-one" plants them at that time. I've been in the habit of buying them mid-April and refrigerating them for 6 weeks, then pre-sprouting them for the first two weeks of June. This year I'm going to try ordering them in March, after buying the ones for the March planting. Last year I almost left it too late, and had real trouble finding any in April. Saving your own from the previous year might be an option if you're up above 1000' elevation. We live in land of humidity and fungi, and I haven't wanted to take the chance.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, central Virginia