market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Colorado Potato Beetle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Colorado Potato Beetle
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:36:12 -0500

John Drury asks about Colorado potato & flea beetles. John, where are you? Here in
central Virginia we plant potatoes in March and again in mid-June. The later ones are
mulched immediately after planting with spoiled hay. They have little or no trouble
from CPB. I understand later plantings are more likely to have less trouble and
mulched plants are "hidden from the CPB which walk in to the potato field. If you
can delay the bulk of your planting till later in the season, and just have a small
first planting, this might make life easier.

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia, zone 6b or 7