market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] No-till in the organic mainstream

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT lobo.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] No-till in the organic mainstream
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:54:18 -0700

I understand Steve Groff and others still have trouble getting uniform
stands with mechanical planters through killed cover crops. Manual planting
gets better results. Mulching with finished compost is said to work with
large plants that don't shade weeds well, but smaller crops that finish
earlier can be planted ahead of tomatoes and peppers that need frost free
nights to get going. They shade any weeds in advance and provide another
cash crop first. Meanwhile, their roots decompose and add more organic
matter to the soil without turning under, another time saver.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net