market-farming - [Market-farming] heirloom suggestions for market farming (ie. can survive a short truck trip)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] heirloom suggestions for market farming (ie. can survive a short truck trip)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:37:16 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Anyone have any 'new' heirloom/really good tasting tomatoes that they liked from last year, that would do well on a market farm?

I am really most interested in varieities that produce fruit that can survive a 3 hour truck trip when half to 3/4 ripe.  Also prefer  'reasonable' sized fruit (from 3/4 to 1 lb.), and some resistance to cracking, spiralling, and green shoulders.

We currently grow Cherokee purple, Brandywine, Striped german, and Persimmon.  Cherokee purple works out well, but the other three grow really large fruit that can be difficult to transport.  We also grow Taxi and Pink beauty (which are hybrids) and nicely round out our 'alternative' tomato offerings.   Our standard red slicer is Red Sun.

We are in Western CT, Zone 5.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Bucciaglia