market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] standing sprinklers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] standing sprinklers
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:14:42 -0600 (CST)

I use standing sprinklers in sweetcorn and pumpkins. We call them gun
stations around here. I am one of the few farmers still using them as most
everybody today uses hard hose travelers. I lay 800 ft line of 4" aluminum
pipe in the row and have a gun station every 160 feet. I water one circle for
two hours roughly 3/4" water then move the gun to the next station. When the
row is watered end to end I have to disassemble the pipe line load it on a
pipe trailer and move it to the next field and start all over again. I use a
Nelson 100 gun that takes at least 100 gpm and 50 psi to run a 3/4" nozzle
shooting water thirty feet high and covering a 200 ft diameter circle. This
system is very labor intensive which is why hard hose travelers as so
popular. BTW big gun sprinklers do not work well in fragile leafy crops like
lettuce, the large droplets damage the foliage... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.