market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] standing sprinklers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "john good" <goodfarmers AT enter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] standing sprinklers
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:47:50 -0500

Scott,
We have a two stage electric pump running from a farm pond. This is a very large pump that supplies water to the entire 330 acre farm we lease land from. I don't know the figures for GPM but the pump delivers about 100PSI through 4 inch hydrants to the field. We reduce immediately to three inch hose at the hydrant and then to two inch hose after the first sprinkler gun.
I would check with Rainflo or your local irrigation supplier because I know there are some sprinklers for this sort of application that can operate at much lower PSI and they can let you know what your pump can handle. At our previous farm we ran the irrigation reel off a well pump, I believe 2 1/2 HP, and were able to get between 65-95 PSI at the pump and about 60-80 at the field hydrants, definitely enough pressure to run a sprinkler gun. By reducing your supply hose diameters you can up your PSI in the field and between sprinklers. Glad to help out,

John & Aimee Good
Quiet Creek Farm
1996 Folk Rd.
Fogelsville, PA 18051