market-farming - [Market-farming] Chickweed, Scale Certification

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <adriana AT chefsgreens.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Chickweed, Scale Certification
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:03:47 -0600

Re: Chickweed
Bill,
I just checked my edible plant bible "Cornucopia, A Source Book of Edible Plants" and here is what it says about chickweed:

"Stellaria Media - Chickweed. The tender, juicy leaves and stems are added tossed green salads and sandwiches, or they can be boiled and eaten like spinach. Natural foods enthusiasts liquify chickweed along with other assorted greens, to make what they call 'green drink'. Indians used the tiny seeds for bread or to thicken soup. Young seedlings can be cut with scissors and left to regrow. Flowering tops are used as a vegetable or garnish. Northern temperate region. " They list seed sources, but my book is a 1990 edition, so they could be obsolete.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, isn't chickweed the same
thing as Creeping Charlie? It's a member of the mint family (square stem
cross-section) and inhabits many lawns as a difficult weed.

Re: Scales

Here in Alabama the certification process takes about 5-10 minutes. The guy puts different weights on the scale and makes sure it reads the correct amount. Costs $30.

The main advantage of NOT using a scale is speeding up checkout. If you are concerned about fairness to the customers pre-bag and pre-weigh our items.

I don't know what the deal is with the scales. I know that out of 32
vendors, NO ONE sells by the pound. When I worked for the research
station we had those scales certified every year. It was an all day
process. The guys would clean them up and re calibrate.

Adriana